Sunday, May 4, 2008

Roll the Bones

Why are we here? Because we're here. Roll the bones.
When Doogie Howzer was on T.V. back in 1986 or so, I thought it was cool that he kept his diary on his computer. Each show would end with him typing white text onto a blue screen, musing about where life was leading him. I said that if I had a computer I'd do that too. Well, I got one a few years later. It ran on DOS and had no hard drive - everything was stored on 5¼" floppy discs. Floppy discs were the PC equivalent of 8-tracks: not real convenient. Of course if you're too young to remember floppy discs, you have no clue what an 8-track is, so that's a moot point. But I digress...

So here I am, two decades later and still only document the occasional major event on paper. Since my days usually end with me sitting at the PC, I've decided to start tracking my life, right here where it's convenient.

Nothing exciting, if I stick with it, it will just be what I did each day or so. For example, I've spent the past few weeks fixing up my house: re-screening windows, getting rid of clutter, taking stuff to the scrap yard. Today's job is to strip the dead paint from the concrete barrier next to the carport. Yes, I will literally be spending the day watching paint peel. See? Nothing exciting.

No comments: